MINUTES OF A MEETING OF THE SOUTH NEWTON AND STOFORD PARISH COUNCIL
Held in the Village Hall on Wednesday 2nd July 2014 at 7.30 pm
Present: Cllr D Blake (Chairman), Cllr J Green, Cllr M Petty, Cllr H Bryans, Cllr M Pont, Cllr H. Swanton, Cllr Peter Edge (Wiltshire Councillor for Wylye), C. Webb (Clerk) Cllr. L. Sherlock (Co-opted)
Apologies: Cllr R. Henstridge, Cllr. N. Blake (Co-opted)
1. APOLOGIES: Cllr R. Henstridge,
2. MINUTES – The Minutes of the last meeting on Wednesday 4th June, 2014 were agreed and signed as correct.
3. P.C. P. Jung
Chairman Cllr D. Blake thanked P.C. Jung for taking the time to attend the meeting to discuss concerns ref. speeding on A36 and C283. P.C. Jung confirmed due to continuing funding issues the re-introduction of speed camera would not be an option. Cllr P. Edge and P.C. Jung both confirmed support for Speed Watch and would liaise with Cllr M. Petty to ensure training of volunteers at Devizes. P.C. Jung also reported that due to combined night operations with gamekeepers and farmers there was a significant crime reduction in the area but advised local parishioners to continue to report all local crimes to ensure this continuing trend.
4. MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES
a) Co-option of Councillors – Cllr. D. Blake advised that following the letter dated 21st June, 2014 from
Wiltshire Council had not received a request for an election by ten electors the two vacancies for
councillors could be filled by co-option. Two people, Mrs. Lorraine Sherlock and Mr. Neil Blake would
like to put their names forward, Councillor J. Green proposed both names and this was seconded by
Councillor M. Petty
A vote was taken and both were co-opted unanimously.
b) Tipping of rubbish at Stoford Cut – Cllr. M. Petty confirmed that this had now been removed. The
layby is now full of gravel, Cllr. P Edge would check if the layby is being used for storage other than
c) Yellow lines in Car park at South Newton – Still in hand Councillor P Edge to chase.
d) Deliveries on junction at Stoford – Cllr J. Green to take up at next C.A.T.G. meeting.
e) Visibility problems Stoford bus stop – Now resolved – N.F.A.
f) Removal of elder and bushes at South Newton – now resolved – N.F.A.
g) Light outside South Newton & Wishford Village Hall – Cllr M. Petty to contact SEB once more;
concerns over safety issues. Cllr P. Edge also to investigate.
h) Overgrown footpaths – Cllr H Bryans confirmed pathway to Bonham’s Bridge has been cut back.
Several complaints have been received re footpaths in South Newton up to the Mill. Clerk to ask via e-
mail for footpaths to be cut from Stoford to bridges at Wilton adjacent to A36.
5. Wiltshire Councillor’s Report - Cllr P Edge
- Cllr P. Edge confirmed his new role as Chairman of Environment Executive Committee. This
- Committee covers waste and highways and road maintenance issues. He also confirmed that the Village Hall had received a grant to cover internet connection. Area Board Meeting to be held at Village Hall in November 2014.
- A review of Fire Services was being undertaken.
- Cllr D. Blake confirmed many complaints received re removal of recycling bins. Cllr. P Edge confirmed decision was made as a result of success of doorstep recycling and lack of use of bins, also there may be a future charge for green recycling bins or no collections between November and January. Cllr. H Swanton confirmed increase of tipping on farmland.
- Cllr, P Edge also asked for a list of any roads for resurfacing. Cllr D Blake confirmed problems with clumps of weeds and grass growing through curbs on South Newton Estate.
6. AREA BOARD
Next meeting 23rd July, at Charlton Remembrance Hall
7. STANDING AGENDA ITEMS
a. Accidents- None reported
b. i) Declaration of interest – None.
ii) Planning applications – 17 Vale View Road – now passed.
c. Rights of Way - Cllr. D. Blake asked if Cllr H Swanton would look at condition of styles on the top
track in South Newton. Cllr L. Sherlock expressed concern over fishing lines hanging in trees along
paths near Bonham’s Bridge – possible illegal fishing. Cllr M. Pont to talk to River Keeper.
d. Environmental/Amenities - Cllr L. Sherlock asked for bin on South Newton Estate play area to be
emptied. Cllr D Blake to organize.
e. Website - 5,560 visits to the website in June 2014. Highest this year. Details of the
Summer Fete 12th July now on website.
f. A36/C283 - Speeding on A 36 – see above report from P.C. Yung. Clerk to chase re-painting of
30 m.p.h. sign on C283.
a) Donations now sent.
b) Payment to Clerk – June payment confirmed.
c) Annual Return – signed off and sent.
9. VILLAGE HALL
- Cllr. H. Bryans confirmed Football Tournament was very successful. Next major event Fete 12th July, 2014.
- Cllr D. Blake reported that grants should be available towards new extension through the F.A. but need £250K.
10. Correspondence – None received
11. COUNCILLOR’S REPORTS
Cllr. H. Bryans: - Requested replacement “Dog Fouling” signs as current ones are very faded. There are problems with dog fouling especially on South Newton Estate. Cllr. M. Petty to organize for footpaths, recreation fields and estate.
Cllr. M. Pont – Confirmed rubbish removed from Bus Shelters on both sides now in Stoford.
There being no further business, the meeting closed at 9.00 pm.
The next Parish Council meeting will take place on Wednesday 13th August, 2014 at 7.30pm,
at the Village Hall