MINUTES OF A MEETING OF THE SOUTH NEWTON AND STOFORD PARISH COUNCIL
held in the Village Hall on Wednesday 5th March 2014 at 7.30 pm
Present: Cllr D Blake, Cllr J Green, Cllr M Petty, Cllr H Bryans, Cllr M Pont, Cllr R Henstridge and A Simons (Clerk)
In attendance Cllr Peter Edge (Wiltshire Councillor for Lower Wylye)
1. APOLOGIES – Cllr N Piner, Cllr H Swanton and Cllr B Blake
2. Wiltshire Councillor’s Report
- Budget went through with 0% increase. There have been a lot of cuts to services.
- Councils to go paper-free.
- Youth services – it was felt that these should not be cut.
- CATG meeting to take place Monday 10th March 2014. Speedwatch Co-ordinator is due to attend.
- Roadworks to The Avenue, Wilton due to take place mid-March.
- David Button will be the new contact at Wilton Highways, as from the end of March 2014.
3. MINUTES - The Minutes of the last Meeting on 5th February 2014 were agreed and signed as correct.
4. MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES
a) Light outside village hall – Cllr M Petty kindly offered to have a look at the light to check if
replacement lamp is required. Will report back.
b) Bus shelter in Jubilee Terrace – Cllr D Blake has repaired the glass in the bus shelter.
c) Litter bin notice – Cllr M Pont kindly agreed to obtain.
5. AREA BOARD
Meeting held on 5th February 2014. Area Board received a large number of grant applications.
Survey to be carried out on Youth provision in this area. Wiltshire Council will be working with Parish Councils.
6. STANDING AGENDA ITEMS
a. Accidents - none reported in our area.
i) Declaration of interest - none.
ii) Planning applications – none
c. Rights of Way - no reports this month.
d. Environmental/Amenities - recycling bins emptied.
e. Website – 5,061 visits to the website in February 2014.
f. A36/C283 - A36 resurfacing works due to start mid-March. C283 patching up of road has
commenced. Metro count completed - awaiting results.
No finance matters this month.
8. VILLAGE HALL
- •Village Hall extension - Architect has now completed the working drawings. Building Regulations to be applied for.
- Grant for projector applied for.
- Football pitch is still flooded – it will be some time before this can be used again.
9. COUNCILLOR’S REPORTS
Cllr M Petty
Reported that the drains had been blocked for half of Verandah Cottages, Stoford. Wessex Water
Cllr J Green
C283 junction with A36 – the road surface is very bad. It is hoped that the resurfacing works will rectify
this area of road. C283 – both turnings into Mount Pleasant road surface requires repair – this matter
to be reported at the next CATG meeting.
Letter received from Ali Simons, Parish Clerk addressed to the Chairman, Derek Blake, advising that with regret she will be resigning from the position of Parish Clerk at the end of April 2014.
It was agreed that the vacancy should be advertised on the website and also in the next edition of the Parish Magazine.
Anyone interested should contact Cllr Derek Blake, or Ali Simons (Parish Clerk) or indeed any of our
There being no further business, the meeting closed at 8.35 pm.
The next Parish Council Meeting will take place on Wednesday 2nd April 2014 at 7.30pm, in the Village Hall.