South Newton & Stoford, Wiltshire, UK

Notice Board


Parish Council Meeting:

Wed 07 Sep 16. Minutes are here. 


Next Meeting Wed 05 Oct 16 at 7.30pm.   Agenda is here

South Newton, Wishford and Stapleford WI.  October meeting report plus September walk & 3 Nov meeting details here 

Local Government, Parish Newsletters etc here

200 Club - September Winners, details here


Valley Art 2016; details here


Minutes - 07 Sep 16 Meeting


Held in the Village Hall on Wednesday 7th September, 2016 at 7.30 pm


Present:             Cllr N. Blake (Vice Chair), C. Webb (Clerk), Cllr M. Pont, Cllr H. Swanton Cllr. H. Bryans,

                          Cllr L. Sherlock, Cllr. Peter Edge (Wiltshire Council)

Apologies:         Cllr K Norman, Cllr D Blake (Chairman), Cllr. J. Green, Cllr R. Henstridge


1.      MINUTES – The Minutes of the last meeting on Wednesday 6th July, 2016 were agreed and signed as correct



           a)    Stiles at South Newton and Stoford- Cllr. D. Blake confirmed repairs in hand, Cllr L. Sherlock asked for

                  bamboo overgrowth to be cut back. 07/09 – In hand.

           b)    Re-painting of 30 M.P.H. sign Stoford. - C.A.T.G. meeting – still in hand.  

           c)    Parking Issues on hammerhead at Vale View Road junction – Cllr. N. Blake confirmed that the Housing

                  Panel were to issue letters to all residents.

           d)    Public footpath around field adjacent to Bonham’s Bridge – Cllr. R. Henstridge to organise a working

                   party.  Cllr L. Sherlock reported weeds growing through pathway to Bonham’s Bridge.

           e)    Loose slabs and kerbstones – Clerk confirmed reported to Wiltshire Council.

           f)     Layby/Bus Stop at Stoford –  Clerk to chase Highways that the drain capacity is not able to

                  cope with large excesses of storm water due to size of outlet. Clerk to report to Highways.

           g)    Drain adjacent to traffic lights, South Newton – Councillors to take a photo of flooding.

           h)    Cover missing on a service hole, A36 pavement South Newton – Clerk to report to Highways / Water Board

           i)    Wessex Drainage – Cllr. D. Blake commented that a possible clearance was in progress.

           j)     Overhanging hedge adjacent to Bus Stop – Now resolved.

           k)    Small area of overgrowth adjacent to Great Wishford Bridge – Clerk confirmed this is not owned by Wilton

                  Estate.  Council agreed to arrange for this to be cut.

           l)     Replacement board for noticeboard, Stoford – Cllr. D. Blake to organise.

           m)   Area of overgrowth to the rear of Wilton Estate Cottages and St. Andrews Road – Clerk to report to

                   Wilton Estate.

           n)    Sunken drain at entrance to South Newton Trading Estate – now resolved.

           o)    Parking lines Oak Close and Jubilee Close, South Newton – Wiltshire Councillor P Edge to report.


3.     Wiltshire Councillor’s Report –  Cllr P. Edge reported that:

  • Wiltshire Council will now be charging for out of area vans.  

  • Fly-tipping continues to be a problem, some recycling centres may open earlier to resolve queues.  

  • The appointment of a new Fire Officer will be made on 1st January, 2017.

Cllr P. Edge left the meeting at 8.06 p.m.


4.     AREA BOARD – Next meeting at Nadder Centre, Tisbury -  5th October 2016



            a.  Accidents – one reported at Swan Inn involving a car and a lorry. On 5th September.

                 Cllr H. Bryans expressed concerns over early morning speeding vehicles through South Newton, 30 mph

                 Speed limit zone being exceeded regularly.

            b. i) Declaration of interest – None

                ii) Planning applications – Mr. R. Petty, Stoford – passed this application with no objections.

            c. Rights of Way – None                                                        

            d. Environmental/Amenities –  None

            e. Website – 4,863 visitors in August 2016.                          

            f. A36/C283 – None


6.    FINANCE 

            a) Payment to Clerk – July and August 2016 passed.      


7.    VILLAGE HALL – Cllr H. Bryans confirmed:

  • Dog Show and Car Boot Sale, Saturday 17th September.

  • There will be a Harvest Supper on Saturday 15th October and the

  • Film nights will commence once again on Friday 30th September – The Dressmaker.  The October film will be Jungle Book

Details of all events are on the website -


8.    CORRESPONDENCE:  Clerk reported a letter received from P.E.A.S. – agreed to order 2 Flood signs.



  • Cllr L. Sherlock reported some overhanging branches on pathway of A36 opposite the Trading Estate and alsoa continuing problem of dog mess on all walking areas generally in South Newton.  Clerk to arrange for a notice to be printed in the Parish Magazine.

  • Cllr. N. Blake – reported the Play Area at South Newton needs the grass and hedges cutting.  Clerk to ask Mr. N. Moss to cut these areas.


There being no further business, the meeting closed at 8.30 p.m.


NEXT MEETING will take place on Wednesday 5th October, 2016 at 7.30pm, at the Village Hall